Saturday, October 3, 2009

Falling Off Donkey's

Hiding in the tent as the winds tried to blow us off the face of the Planet last weekend got me thinking about why it is I seem to roll through a constant cycle of on again off again with my training. There are plenty of excuses out their and I am sure if I trowel back through this blog I would have covered most of them.

Then through the week looking for bits and pieces to throw at the Yr12 Gnomes on their last days with us I found a small book that was used at my wedding to help the groomsmen stay on track with their speeches. As I flicked through the pages of 'Guru Bob' I stumbled across the following words of wisdom that have echoed through my mind all morning whilst out try to rip my achilles apart again:

"If you fall off the donkey seven times, you must climb back on eight times. But if you fall off the donkey ten times, most possibly you are not cut out for riding donkeys."

and it has had me thinking I keep running getting injured and then being frustrated that I cant run. I get better and start training to hard to soon and get injured again.

Case in point today. Having got past the frustrations of a winter compiled of a displaced rib, strained right achilles, torn right hamstring. All might I add related to the foolish pursuit of playing touch against 20yr olds. I was settling into a pattern of casual training again, when for some reason with just a tinge in the left achilles I seemed to think running playing on hills was a good idea.

The start was good and the first climb at 40minutes in felt good. Around the old quarry and back down the stairs to the second climb ad the achilles was straining a bit to the point of being irritating. By the third of four climbs up the escarpment it had become painful and I was forced to walk out of the single track leaving a climb unattended. 1hr 40 minutes of the 2hrs completed and three solid climbs but now an ice pack is back and a modified training regime shall once again need to be explored for a few weeks. This is starting to piss me off.

All this and still I haven't once tried riding a donkey.

No comments: