Tuesday, November 10, 2009

My Navman Has No Magnetic Needle

I remember teaching an Archery lesson at a former school. A school in which the budgets were some what tight each year. And I was asked quiet politely by my then head teacher if I wouldn't mind not using the targets till the students had spent a couple of lessons practicing their firing of the bows. As the cost of replacement targets would not be in the budget for a couple more years.

Note on a political level: "who says government schools are underfunded whilst exclusive (yes that does mean they exclude people) schools keep grasping for government funds"

It was somewhat difficult to keep the students motivated with no measure from which to gage their success. It's the same as any league or union training session. The first thing all the players want to do is kick for goals. Instant feedback provides them with a sense of accomplishment. No instant feedback and interest falters, a bit like a teenage boy trying to perfect his kissing technique with no girl friend for the thanks.

It is for these disturbed reasons and many more that I was pleased to get my acceptance for Bogong to Hotham. I now have a target for which to take aim. I don't plan on making this the end target, but it is a starter on the path to future events. The first point of feedback on my developing understanding of off road ultra running.

Monday 9th Movemeber
PM from Knapsack oval running solo for the first time in some weeks. I must say I enjoyed the sounds of Gnarls Barkley as I wound my way down and up the inner circle quarry link run. A rest day yesterday had the legs feeling fresh on the climb up the escarpment. However images of Mister G's elevation chart for Bogong tell me these climbs are way too short. 45mins 8secs.

Tuesday 10th Movember
AM started from Sleep Trains round house for the standard circuit round and out of Sun Valley. At the top of the concrete hill we were joined by Shit Kick (we really must fix this title) who had not read the by laws on 6 means 6 not 6.03. A bit of tightness in the achilles this morning and whilst it is not painful it rings bells having spent the majority of the winter side lined with injury. 58.54 a more than respectable time for the run (Me speak not Sleep speak I clarify).

PM solo again from Knapsack for a lap around Espresso. This time accompanied by the sweet sounds (and bitter wording) of Lily Allen. I love the contrast of melody to lyrics in her songs, it always amuses me to see someone register the words for the first time having been sucked into the calmness of the sound.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUYaosyR4bE

Mid 30 degrees on the ovals at work today so ran at a measure feel of comfort. Was surprised to lap around in 28 mins 49secs, achilles made itself known bit still would not call it sore.

Wednesday 11th Movember
An AM run from the Lucasville Resort with Wholie the holiday maker. Straight through the village and over to Knapsack reserve for the third day in a row. I can't get enough of the trails in and around here, particularly when I'm avoiding real climbs. Down the central track to Marges (or Eliz, the one one the left) round single track up through quarrie, back to lookout link track entrance down central track, left at gate for loop of spaghetti ridge and out back to the resort. The achilles much better this morning than yesterday for 50mins 1sec.

PM a trip to the Kingsway for semis of fartlek with ball. Doubtful it will be blow up free.

Thursday 12th Movember
Some time ago by now but it was the standard AM run from Animals at 6. Animal absent due to to kneebecomeballonitis so it was just Sleep Train and I till we exited Hilda and stumbled upon the eagerly awaiting shogun. As three we rounded the basic hill circuit, as per normal Thursday expectations and I am confident in mentioning I was not the only one feeling this run today. If fact I challenge any present to indicate they were fresh as daisy's to steal a phrase. All in all a great run though with total time on feet 1hr 2mins 8secs.

Friday 13th Movemeber
It is only now I realise the Friday and the 13th bit, so be it then. An AM run from the Mansion on Marshall having been picked up by Wholie the holiday maker and the Catholic Disciplinarian on their way around a 4.15am started run. Basically up Railway Pde to Rickard and down a bit before the turn around. Ran solo from turn around (dam the out and back) and put in enough effort to ensure a significant negative split. 31 mins out and 27mins home for 58mins 12secs all up.

PM and a jaunt in the upper mts with Mister G was put down. Another out and back (what am I doing) but this time on Narrow Neck, for much improved views, along with another negative split. 39mins 36secs (including wiz stop, primarily to enjoy the view I might add). Spent post run time getting excited about BMMC T-Shirts and singlets with Mister G.

Saturday 14th Movember
To quote the ever inspirational 12 times 12fter John Trotter "It's all about time in the legs" today was not so much a run session as time amongst it. Picked up Sleep Train at 6am closely followed by Living Legend 2 and headed out along the Putty Rd to secret location Dripping Rock (not really that secrete I suppose). 8.15am began the day with a 1hr Mt Bike to the spot before dropping bikes and trudging into the wilderness of the Wollomi (and can I get the thanks for the Gators out know, who goes bush in bordies and a t?).

4kms at 1km an hr trudging through vine laden creeks got us to lunch, a most beautiful spot that I fear I will never go to again, 30mins to sleep by the creek before a short 30mins longer on the creek and a rapid rise out to the ridge top. 4km more of completely untamed bush following the ridge over 2hrs of sweltering heat got us back to the fire trail some 4kms from our bikes. 1hr of hiking and a subsequent hr on the Mt Bikes and we were back to the cars just short of 6pm. A grand total of just under 10hrs in the legs for very little distance, but one of the most physically demanding days I feel I will have. Home via the hottest hamburger shop in the world and an ice cream from the scariest ice cream server I expect to ever see.

Sunday 15th Movemeber
Rest day after a smallish week in terms of distance coming i at around 75-80kms. But a massive week in time in the legs. I think days like Saturday will prove vital in the ultimate goal of competitive 100km racing. Not ready to disclose the ultimate target yet, step one remains Bogong to Hotham.

1 comment:

jemswillam's Blog said...

I know that some of the Models
dont have a magnetic needle. But
dont worry if doesnt matter if
it is not there.
Mio Navman M450D