Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Greater Than Or Less Than It's Just Perspective

I was watching a new channel I have just found this morning and I saw an ad for this guy, Rob Lilwall's, show:


Some days in the life of a Siberian cyclist... a dazzling rush through some random encounters from Rob Lilwall on Vimeo.
It reminded me of my trip cycling across Australia in 2006. Partly because of the concept of cycle touring but more specifically because I had the great pleasure of meeting Rob on a coinciding rest day in in Streaky Bay, South Aust. Enough so that I felt the need to pull out my diary to recall this occasion.

"Their hospitality extended to a joint Parish BBQ. Where we were joined by the second mad Englishman of our journey. Rob who was cycling solo to Perth. It was however through persistent questioning that the full extent of Rob's journey unfolded.

Two years ago Rob left England & began his odyssey by cycling across Russia. He continued through various countries including much of South East Asia. Finding himself in Cairns he made his way south to Sydney and Melbourne. Here his journey was interrupted by Malaria and the planned extension to Tasmania had to be canceled. Now heading for home (planned for Christmas 2007) via Perth and numerous other countries on the way.

Talk about putting us in our place. "I had done a few short rides like yours" he had quite non-offensively stated in a conversation." - 24.9.06

For me meeting Rob was one of the highlights of the trip and I had the great pleasure of catching up with him the next day (and watching him consume an entire 2ltr ice cream using his credit card as a spoon, very impressive again) as we both used this beautiful coastal town to rest for a day. It gave me a new perspective on things. That no matter how many people look at your endeavours in disbelief. There is always the chance that just around the corner is another who will present a whole new level of challenge.

I have been playing with these concepts for a few weeks now in terms of increased weekly kilometerage. For me it has been a big step up to try and hit 100-120km a week. Given that in my previous existence 50km in a week was a big one. However I am acutely aware that this is still a stepping stone phase because around the corner (quite literally) I am seeing 180-200km weeks being churned out and I know that at some point I need to move on from my short weeks of running to take the next step. For now though I will persist with were I'm at and by pleased that I have gone greater than I have managed before, and look forward to in future looking back at the lesser weeks.

Monday 21st December
AM ran a solo waking up the week run around the home trail. Couldn't find the i-pod so was forced to go solo with just my thoughts to keep me company. Found out that it is quite refreshing to have the mind cleared occasionally. Also found out I am an incredibly boring person. 33mins 43secs.

PM Joined Sleep Train at the national park gates to head out to Mt Portal and back. It seems Monday afternoons are turning into my more favoured sessions. I seem to have a freshness in my legs and this was the case again today. Drops of rain kept us cool through the early stages along the single track and as Sleep Train stopped for his mandatory break 16minutes in made it my goal to make sure I reached the Tunnel View lookout turnoff before he caught me. Had to work hard to do this and the fact I had not told him that I was trying to stay in front certainly aided the ability to achieve this. A short stretch at Mt Portal lookout and a return the same way we had come out. Past a bullant leading Mt Bikers on the main climb and pushed it hard on the single track from 5 ways to the road (again reinforcing my belief that Sleep Trains running with me is just set on degrees of easy). 53mins 30secs of run followed by a swim at the causeway and an easy jog up to the car.

Tuesday 22nd December
AM the standard loop from Sleep Trains Roundhouse with a larger than standard crowd. Joined by Sleep Train, Dr Phil, Animal, Welsh Exchange Student, vstraR, Lady GarGar and the Comish it was a rowdy bunch that headed off onto Sleep Trains standard circuit in the standard direction at the standard time. Legs a bit fatigued early but came good through the valley floor allowing an enjoyable conversation with the Animal and the Comish. The Comish keeping me company on the climb and along the road to finish, being grateful for the company at my back end pace. 1hr 3mins 28secs. Really quite humid this morning.

PM having rescued my ipod from the clutches of the immense grave yard that is SWMBO's handbag it was to the easy listening tunes of Pete Murray that I lapped out around Inner Circle Quarry Link. Was super drained after a tough day of holiday's laid out in front of the tele, I think in actual fact the last few weeks of work are catching up. Got through OK though with just a touch of reflux giving me some grief on the climbs. Must get back to yogurt in the mornings as this seems to settle the stomach acids. Towards the end of the run saw Shogun whiz by in front at a track junction, however could not catch him (not too many can mind you) before I turned off on to Spaghetti Ridge. All up 47mins 42secs (no idea how this compares to previous runs on this circuit).

Wednesday 23rd December
AM joined GPB the Banished One in the low lands this morning for a lap of the bridges. Was already quite warm by 6.30am and whilst not looking to push the pace at all was a little surprised to have run as slow as 32mins 56sec. Never mind coming up to a peak for me by Saturday then a slow down over two weeks leading into B2H (definite need to change some of these as there are way too many X2Y races, may start a line of from races, eg Hotham from Bogong, just to mix it up). Service at Coffee Club very poor and did nothing to entice my business back down from the Mt's again.

PM bumped the Bennett's Ridge run this arvo as head hurts and beginning to feel bit unwell.

Thursday 24th December
AM feeling a bit better than yesterday arvo but not 100%. Due to the fact that the car window is firmly planted inside the car door decided it would be better to run to Animals (the hardship it must be at least 800m). First there and by the time the start time had ticked over and we were 45sec's late only the animal, Sleep Train and I in attendance. Much 'discussion' about various peoples legs hurting up the 'massive' climb from Animals rounded the corner and picked up the very patient Shogun (ST would not have waited this long) continued down towards the shops and picked up Dr Phil who running late had parked short and was jogging up towards us (all be it dressed in his best beach outfit and school shoes). The more sizable group hit the Basic Hills Circuit as per the norm on a Thursday with the opportunity provided to welcome Animal to my end of the hill today (why Dave Scotts training programing is hurting so much I can't imagine). All up 1hr 4mins 35secs.

PM sore throat and crap in my head means I will not be seen on Furber Stairs today. Just means having missed two afternoon sessions a run tomorrow morning is not negotiable.

Friday 25th December
Had talked at Thursday run about the question 'Are you training on Christmas day'. With the understanding this is a pointless question. For the 'amateur' the answer is known - 'of course not, stupid question, it is Christmas' whilst for the Pro the answer is 'of course, stupid question, its a training day'. Based on this assumption I am happy to announce myself an amateur through and through.

Saturday 26th December
Great night out with Mister G's (Clayton's for me anyway) 12hrs of Kedumba. Got in the early start with She who must Be Obeyed and Fred at 6.30 (having missed the initial 6.00 start as SWMBO insisted on checking that every public amenities building in Wentworth Falls was locked) with the aim of trying to get in as much of the first lap in the light.


Headed down with SWMBO and Fred on the first descent and enjoyed the social nature of the evenings beginnings. Particularly the nervous chatter that was emanating from the two as the contemplated there first encounter with Kedumba. Turned at the creek and made a steady ascent first time round meeting up with le peloton as they made there way down, clearly going to catch me some time heading back up.

Around the overhang on the way up the mist combined with the falling light pasted a unique perspective to the valley surronds and I found myself constantly drifting into the environment around me. Only to be rudely awakened by the sharpening slopes of Kedumba at numerous intervals.

At the top was contemplating scraping any more laps as the beers and roast from the days 2.00pm lunch were acting as negative influences on my decision making. Thankfully Rodthehornet was heading out for his second so joined him on the descent to Jamison Creek. The darkness of night with cloud cover and misty rain reduced vision to the immediate spacing provided by the head light and as a result foot placement became difficult. As well as the fact that there must have been someone hidding in the bushes throwing sticks between my legs.

This reduced visibility also meant that on the return leg up at no point was it clear what the slope had in store for you beyond the next step. Leading to a strange sense of running to stride by stride feel. The benefit being that on occasions you suddenly found yourself accelerating unexpectedly as the slope eased off beneath you.

Lost Rod around 4-5mins into the ascent (ie he ran away from me not the other way round) and settled into the metronomic pace I enjoy on such climbs expecting to run solo to the summit again. Just past the turn (left not right) found Rod again as he had stopped to chat with Jan and then again for a talk with Mister G. Ran with Rod, and all though at times he began to pull away on the stepper section, a voice uttering 'stay with me' was motivation enough to push a little harder and try to hook on.

At the top was incredibly thankful for Rod dragging me through the second lap. Splits for the day worked out at:
52mins 49secs, descent with SWMBO and Fred
3mins 54 secs, waiting another pit stop
1hr 10mins 32secs, solo ascent
14mins 24secs, doubting ability to run another lap
42mins 38secs, descent with Rodthehornet
1hr 4mins 29secs chasing Rodthehornet back up again

All up very happy with the run and thankful for the experience of these hills with B2H wet weather pack on. SWMBO pumped after her one and a half laps having never run on anything resembling this sort of climb before and on only her second night run following W2G by full moon in Sept.

Thanks to Actionman for hanging around at the top despite injury preventing any running yourself.

No comments: