Monday, January 3, 2011

Transition 2010 to 2011

The only point in looking backwards is to clarify where your going forwards to. Or to save production costs for all those TV shows that do a year in review type program. So with this in mind a quick look at 2010, but only so I can help direct myself for 2011.

A tops year really for me in general terms. Started with a shaky start having a DNF at Hotham from Bogong in excessive temperatures and lacking directional capabilities required to join the 'normal population. Even this can be put aside though, as a number of people have calculated 9 months latter the best part of my year hit the pool at Nepean Hospital. But more on that latter. Perhaps my mind was just not focused on running the toughest course I have attempted to date.

Things sat in the good range for the rest of the next 6 months with a pleasing but not great six foot track debut and a very satisfying North Face. Again set up as my first attempt at this kind of solo run. I remind myself that the purpose of 2010 had always been to get a feel for these longer runs knowing "building endurance is to be endured". The catch phrase for 2010 and beyond I suspect.

June was, as it has become accustomed, time to show the poncey private sector that CHS Rugby is far superior to their player poaching over glorified systems. It also provided a month of distraction following what had been the biggest volume of running I have taken on in my life. A 3-1 record for my team leaving a bitter taste to a generally successful program again. A 4-0 outcome sits there waiting for to ease my public education aligned heart.

Late winter, early spring was about just rocking up and having a run to be social. Surprisingly it also produced my best two runs for the year at Glenbrook from Woodford and Bilpin from Wilson. Recording PB's at both courses of over 10 minutes. It seems the volume of the early year combined with a month of bits and pieces paid dividends.

September to the end of the year was dominated by the expansion of the family. A cheeky marathon run at Sydney, with no where near enough kilometers in the legs, enabling Sponge Bob Square pants (and a chick to top it off) to smash me. A PB again but at 3:36 still well below the place I want to be at. Then out she came.

Genevieve Anne Berriman, 1.11am 17th October. For the rest of the year who cares about my times (I guess I did but it is an easy card to pull before a race). The 'Mear Cat' is with us, a gorgeous girl with a desire to always know whats going on and who is that sitting over there. "Shes advanced you know".

4 Weeks latter Nepean Tri where a ridiculous PB again given an absolute lack of training and sleep accumulated for the month preceding. Then on to Canberra Half Ironman where in all reality the quad explosion should have come at a race long ago.

Overall too much fun had back into some real events after a decade and a half of pretending. But more importantly the first stepping stone towards future goals and progression in both standard of performance and distances raced at. Starting with 2011, the year of the next rung.

A basic plan, events to begin with. Maintaining the philosophy I do this for recreation and not to take over my life I am out of North face 2011 with a wedding in Fiji knocking a block of training out early in the year. So some new targets needed. The first big one being the, I believe, inaugural 6ft-Husky Double. At this point there are 3 of us wait listed for 6ft and entered Husskisan Long Course. With 2010 as the model I have confidence the wait list will go so the made afternoon car poo from Jenolan Cave to Husskisan is on on.

Earlier will be back to solid training, with a potential trip to Canberra to visit my nieces (and their Dad/Mum) and to have a run at Stromo lightning Strike for training. Latter is not yet confirmed but 12ft track is jumping up and down at me, a real crack at a marathon and  block of training building to Ironman length event (though I have talked about this since yr 12 in 1992).

So with the 6ft-Hussky double the immediate focus a plan has been hatched and accountability through the blog diary is the corner stone. As the best training in 2010 clearly coincided with this process. A run heavy program is nutted out and the next 3 months will look like this:

Mondays
AM, Recovery Run min 30 mins but should be longer
PM, Swim - Pyramid sets

Tuesdays
AM, Run BMMC Sleep Train Circuit
PM, Run track session with the Spilling Squad

Wednesdays
AM, Swim - 100's/50's sets
PM, Cycle mini LSD

Thursdays
AM, Run BMMC Standard Hill Circuit
PM, Cycle

Fridays
AM, Swim - Open water or pool time trial
PM, Cycle - Mt Bike

Saturdays
AM, Run LSD BMMC Saturday 6ft Sessions
Pm, Run (optional) recovery max 30mins

Sundays
AM, Cycle LSD with hills
PM, Swim - 300's sets

So Beer Betters there is the plan from this silver stubbie contestant. Take it or leave it. Just have the knowledge that whilst I ran my 1st 10km as an 8 yr old in 1982 last year was my debut season in my own eyes to being back at it. 2011, the year of the next rung is amongst us.



Now to avoid wrestling evil prawns for the remainder and a song for Genevieve (ignoring the introductory ref to cigarettes please):

No comments: