Thursday, October 6, 2011

Balranald to Hay Revisited

6.10.2006: Balranald to Hay

Stats: 134.34km, 4hrs 34mins 57secs, 29.3km/hr
Weather: Cold morning, Warm day, Clear sky's, Cross winds

Early in the ride I had the perception that once we had crossed the Nullarbor we would be back into populated suburbs and out of the isolation of dry desert scrub. Out of sparse open country and into regular townships. Now that I actually look at the names of the towns we are staying at, it is obvious that right through to Picton we will be amongst the empty landscapes that occupy the majority of inland Australia.

Today our ride from Balranald to Hay took us through the Hay Plains. An environment matched for its starkness only by the official stretch of the Nullarbor Plain. Kilometre after kilometre of open flat fields. Dry red dirt and scrubby salt bush occupying all land as far as the eye could see.

By the end of the day my legs were screaming for a hill, even a slight rise in the road. Anything to break the endless flat that is the road across this part of the land.

Given this unfamiliar riding, in comparison to cycling around the Blue Mountains. The past two days have seen me find my legs at the tempo of our new group, and as unaccustomed as I am to this long flat riding I find myself excited at the rythme of the group.

Having been banned from contesting sprints at the end of stages. We have introduced the concept of formation and non-formation finishes. Our first non-formation finish rolled out 3km prior to lunch and having found myself caught on the wind side of the group promptly exploded well before the final destination. Lactic acid over powering my quads and remaining as an unwelcome visitor for some time later.

Our second non-formation finish was a much closer encounter with Stephen S out powering me to the 60 sign. Unfortunately it's the 50 sign were after and it all meant nothing in the end.

Hay seems a most welcoming town and I look forward to spending our rest day checking out the streets tomorrow. It's hard to contemplate this being the beginning of the final stretch home on our trip.

I will spend some of tomorrow trying to get a feel for the Town in which Dad first taught, fresh out of teacher college. I don't know what, if anything I will find.

Punctures: Me (0), Group (14)
Brain Explosions: Mild (2), Moderate (1), Max (0)

6.10.2011

The less said about training today the closest it will come to resembling the physical accomplishments accumulated today. Instead the day was spent on project recover the yard - Day 2.

By days end the yard is looking better than it ever has. This combined with the fact there is an extendable chainsaw stuck in a half cut branch about 8 meters above the cloths line made for an incredibly satisfying day. I can only hope post swim tomorrow that project recover the yard - Day 3 brings what is essentially the worlds longest lawn mowing session, to an end.

So with a happy SWMBO (just as important to maintain, some might say this far out) I have been researching and I think I have found how a Berriman can compete in Kona 2012:



So to get some pump into Evie as she willingly begins her preparations for getting me on a plane next year:

No comments: