Sunday, October 2, 2011

Burra ro Waikerie Revisited

2.10.2006: Burra to Waikerie

Stats: 124.91km, 5hrs 0mins 20secs, 24.9km/hr
Weather: Cold Morning, Hot Day, Mild Winds, Clear Sky

Today our now tightly bonded group of 16 riders, that have worked together for a period of three weeks, was joined by 15 new, fresh faces. Riders who had spent the previous day riding up from Adelaide to Burra.

For us, the previous day had been a most relaxing time. Spent strolling the historic mining towns streets and consuming copious amounts of coffee. For our new friends it had been a torrid day. Battling fierce head winds and hills to complete the 168km journey to join us.

For today the structured Perth group remained together and rode out of town with one group ahead of us and one group behind. As we climbed the gentle slopes that take us away from Burra it soon becomes obvious this would be one of the coldest mornings we would experience in our ride so far.

The green grassy slopes surrounding Burra soon disappeared and much of the morning was spent cycling through a desolate backdrop of saltbush and red dusty ground.

Around lunchtime this arid landscape ended as abruptly as it had appeared. A quick descent into Morgan and we found ourselves on the grassy banks of the Murray river. A great place to break for lunch.

This period immediately prior to lunch gave us our first insight into the changes we would need to apply to our daily routine. With increased numbers and greater variety in cycling ability we spent one to two hours in front of our A-Group of riders. Taking turns in front to aid their journey through to lunch. OUr focus will need to be extended beyond our small group in order for the larger contingent to succeed in its goal of, all cyclists making it to Sydney (and enjoying the experience).

The afternoon, partly thanks to fresh legs from the easier pace into lunch, was spent with a stung pace through winding roads. Following a trail of citrus orchards and the Murray River.

Spirits are high as we rolled into Waikerie. Another beautiful Murray town, a day well enjoyed.

Punctures: Me (0), Group (10)
Brain Snaps: Mild (2), Moderate (1), Max (0)

Note: Stats above for punctures will only reflect those cycling from Perth to Sydney whilst Brain Snaps remain a tally for myself.

2.10.2011
It has been an interesting few days since I returned from the Canoe trip last week. My rib cartilage injury continues to slow me down and as of yet I have not attempted any training sessions. Generally the ribs are ok, however it doesn't take a lot of twist or lift to send a wave of pain into my right side. As Evie sleeps this afternoon for her nap I think an hour on the home trainer may be the best option at this point in time.

Yesterday was spent absorbing others sporting involvement. In the morning I had Evie with me as we watched SWMBO and Sal complete the Lap the Lake 10k, whilst W.E.S ran the half marathon. Plenty of other familiar faces running through the various distances on offer as well. In what looks like a great event to do in future years. Not allowing prams however will put a hold on co-participation until either Evie is up to a 5k run or they change what I think is a miss placed rule for their event.




The afternoon was spent with the Animal as he prepared for his flight out to Kona for what remains in my mind one of three ultimate triathlons to participate in before I give up endurance events, the Hawaiian Ironman. Along with the Nice Long Course Triathlon and Iron Distance Roth, these three events have sat in my mind since I sat for weeks on end as a teenager hopping this weeks Wide World of Sports would include the coverage of one of these events.

It is, I believe, a fair assumption to say the Animal looks pumped for his first attempt in Kona. I wish him all the best as he heads for that final km along the finishing shoot. As I mentioned to him over coffee yesterday, swimming by the pier - the village based bike turn - and running into the finishing shoot sit in my mind as experiences I hope I get to absorb at some point in time.

For now though it is about finding a path to manage some training through the recovery of my ribs. I believe it is six weeks to Nepean then about four more weeks to the Canberra Half. My pre season objectives for the coming season. Time to enjoy.

So my song for Evie today:

No comments: