Monday, October 31, 2011

Running Wild On The Other Side

Been having a few weeks living on a different side of late. With this week being my 5th as relieving Deputy at Gnome central. It has been very interesting to sit in another chair around the School, getting a feel for the larger picture on how things operate. It will certainly change my perspective of how I approach certain aspects back in PE land when I finally get the chance to get back into the less formal attire of the PDHPE teacher.

It reminds me of talking with one of my Uncles a few years ago about his move into management of some of the larger Hotel chains floating around the place. In particular his scheduled times getting into various roles in the Hotel to keep his mind clear on exactly what the various jobs involve. So he can make knowledgable judgments in terms of managing the big picture.

With this concept in mind I was super pleased to have the chance to experience another side of Running Wild on the weekend. Being given the chance to run in one of our events for the first time since we kicked off at Mt Portal last year. We have heard for the past 18 months that the events, though low key, seem to meet the needs of the runners really well. A benefit of trail races being put in by people currently racing trails regularly.

However I think for this to continue to be the case, it is going to be vital for us to continue to take turns running in the events. If for nothing else to pick up the little things that can soon grow into big things when a lazy mind has the chance to take over on organisation.

Over all must say I had a ball on the trails around Wentworth Falls. Im sure I could have been out for a solo training run and still loved every minute of it. Of all the events we put on each year, this course is number 1 on my wish list. For its views and tight single track, the massive cliff faces and the challenging nature of the track under foot. It will be hard pressed for me to find a race I enjoyed better in 2011. A strange thing to say publicly when on the organising committee.

True to form though it was good to see some little things that Im sure will make everyones experience that little bit more enjoyable. Given things don't always go to plan. Not sure on the logistics yet, but one thing I think needs to be explored are sign posted and well advertised evacuation routes. In terms of mass evacuation and or individual evacuation in case of injury. This builds some interesting dilemma's in it self. So to the critical analysis board we go I guess.

In terms of the run itself I was pumped to drag myself around the course in 9th place of the 220ish starters that took on the course. A strength focused brick on Saturday had the legs under strain from the gun and a quackish pace from the start to secure an uninterrupted early pace along the Charles Darwin walk soon had the lungs pumping at a challenging level.

To me the section immediately leading into the drop down to National Pass and the Pass itself make this run. The views of the Kedumba Valley opening out in front then the Falls dropping water down towards you make for truly majestic trail. I was sitting round 11th or so at the start of this descent and was amazed to see John Glen and Tony Williams tackle this descent 3 steps at a time. In a section of track many would have slowed to a walk to ensure life was still present upon reaching the bottom.

The climb up the other side had the quads and lungs extended. However I managed to work my way back from 13th into the top 10 on the stairs into Valley of the Waters and on to the Nature Track as we wound back into The Conservation Hut. The final few kilometres along the Over Cliff-Uner Cliff track then the steady climb up Charles Darwin speed by with my legs feeling great through to the end. 1hr 41mins being just inside 15mins off the winner new course record. Pumped really knowing these are the events I love and hopeful that others are getting the same through their participation.

Bring on the next session, event, what ever. Enjoy.

Then their was a song for Evie, this time bought to you by a great new band whose CD launch I missed due to racing the next day. Best part is I hear 2 of these guys like nothing more than getting out for a touch of trail running themselves. Hope to see them at Running Wild in the near future:

No comments: