Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Yass to Goulburn Revisited

12.10.2006: Yass to Goulburn

Stats: 100.58km, 3hrs 23mins 23secs, 29.6km/hr
Weather: Hot all day, Clear skys, Late breeze largely tail

The all clear record came to a devastating end today. Over 3700km across four States of Australia, numerous highways - byways - and back roads. I awoke this morning to my first flat tyre of the journey. A miserable slow leak care of a slither of glass that had worked its way through, what up till now had been, the impenetrable walls that are my Continental Gatorskins. My quest to last the longest without a puncture snatched from my grasp with the finish line in sight. Not even providing the common curtsy of a break whilst out on the road.

With tube replaced and glass removed, we left Yass around 7.30ish in order to complete our planned 89km ride today before the predicted heat really hit. Ten minutes into the ride and the first stop had already been called to remove layers as the sun's morning rays beat down on to us.

At this point in the ride I also decided it was a good thing that it had not been left up to me to find our way to Goulburn by my own means. As in my state of complete disorientation I think I would have had us bunking down in Cooma for the night.

We quickly departed from the busy roadway that is the Hume Highway, for the rural settings of a Jim Blaxland backroad. Nichollete's son, Anthony, joined us here seeing the inaugural breakaway formation of the C-Team Youthworks edition. Nichollete, Roger, Edna, Allen and Steve C taking him into their undoubtably expert tutelage.

For the following 30km I wished I had joined the Youthworks edition as numerous (I think all but myself at times) of our riders decided it was time just to see how much we could push it. From recollection I'm sure mention was made of a survivor style section with riders being voted off (i.e. dropped out the back) each 5km.

How i stayed on I'm still not too sure of. At one point we were climbing a considerable hill at excess of 40km/hr. Clearly the final push to push me out the back only failed to eventuate as I was carrying the directions and walkie talkie to communicate with our support vehicles.

Having barely caught my breath at morning tea (Gunning) we set off again. This time reconfigured with all C-Team members (less Anthony) fortunately easing the pace to finish the day.

89km soon turned into 100km and with none of us wanting to spend the night on the side of the road at the Canberra turn off, the extra 11km were punched out without a word of complaint. A generous tail wind helping sooth the issue. With the rest of the day free to eat, drink and then eat some more. Much fun was had in Goulburn refuelling some very spent legs.

Punctures: Me (1), group (16)
Brain Snaps: Mild (2), Moderate (1), Max (0)

12.10.2011

One thing has been consistent over the past few nights. Evie has not slept well meaning neither Kel nor I have slept well. SWMBO of course will quickly point out I do manage to sleep through approximately half the resettles though. Funny how I never learn and keep saying things like, "wasn't it good Evie only woke twice last night" in the morning to a clearly fatigued SWMBO.

After some early negotiations and laying of plans to try and fit the morning swim int the afternoon. It was with external encouragement that I made it to the Woods for a swim at 6.03am. Just three minutes late, but then when the others don't show at all I guess there minutes doesn't mean too much. Having said theta Sleep Train arrived at his pre scheduled 6.37am time slot. Just in time to do a warm up and then join me for the main set. Timing being perfect in that it gave me another person to hold me accountable in the point of the session at which Im most likely to make compromises to the session. In the end all done as per the plan for 3100m. Having started in the first week of a twelve week plan, things are just starting to build on distance and in intensity. Fun.

Another day pushing papers and pretending to be important, dressed up in adults clothing. At least today I remembered man pants don't have velcro fly's and as such require manual manipulation to ensure they are closed on leaving for work. I think if I had got this wrong for the third day in a row I might be up for a sexual harassment case with the lovely lady's in the front office :)

The afternoons session switched out for another session with the physic on the ribs. The good news being that as I sit behind a desk all day at the moment. The recuperation of the ribs has moved much quicker than last week. To the point that should be my last visit to Ollie and a process of rebuilding training to it's full process is now at its starting point. Happy days.

So a happy song for Evie that is most appropriate to her current gross motor training regime:



And while IM at it today I stumbled on this, the first song I heard that had me thinking there is more to the world of music than video hits and the repetitive nature of so many songs I heard on the stations just down the dial from triple j. My recent discovery in the late 80's:

No comments: