Thursday, April 2, 2009

But I Want To Run Now

It is amazing how many concepts a PDHPE teacher tries to pass on to his students and then ignores completely himself in person life. The constant referral to concepts such as balanced lifestyle and progressive overload become lessons for them whilst concepts of recovery are completely ignored.
It was something of a frustrating week and a bit following the return from our geographically higher placed hemisphere. With considerable difficulties experienced trying to recover from 24hrs in a plane and no attempt to train outside of racing to the patisserie for another croissant.
Monday 23rd March
The first day back into normality following my time in normadicality. It was with absolute confidence that I fronted for the MonRun with the Gnomes and with absolute embarrassment I walked the last 2kms of the bridges. I couldn't even pretend it was an episode in self image boosting for the gnomes as my distressed appearance gave all to much away. I don't think I have walked in a run of less than 10kms since I managed to finish my first 10km fun run aged 8 at Gross Vale.
Friday 27th March
It took a week to get over the poor attempt at training on Monday and Thursday night probably represented the first night back that I had managed to sleep through without jumping out of bed three times thinking it was a time that it clearly wasn't yet.
Got the Mt Bike out and hit the tracks of Knapsack with the Gnomes. A great turn up for our first drive to destination for 2009. 8 gnomes 2 other teachers and GPB who had invited himself along to take his newly purchased Mt Bike round for the "third" time (though it turns out one & two resembled Wholohan styled black tracks with yellow lines). spent the hour lapping round the trails from fire to single. Splitting at time when skill level required alternate paths to the same destination. It should be stated that GPB bought a lot of GP to the ride with his loud statements of confidence and his equally spectacular examination of the dirt twice on course.
Saturday 28th March
BMMC called to arms. An easy 60 minutes was planned with departure selected from the Mansion on Marshall for those out to roll the legs. The more serious had clocked in at 5am and would meet up with us on course to cruise their final hour (a tactic that has never quite worked before)
Sleep train, GPB, and A Curnow (not more than 1 though) set off down through the Ozzie Pyrenees and managed the first ever recorded successful linkage with an external group. Of Whollie, Dukesie and Pez (of the a Variety).
Having descended to the world of the low lander via Mitchells pass an easy 60minutes was had by all, when it was noted that strangely enough we were not home yet. So with A Curnow (not more than 1 though) departing for the greener pastures of Wollies car Sleep Tain GPB & I began the trek to the valley track to head back. Missing it completely we slogged it out up the much less scenic road track and finally found ourselves returned in a touch over 90minutes.
It is to be noted however that the advertised easy 60 minutes was adhered to as it was only once this time had elapsed that the run became hard.
An afternoon wandering on memory around Mt Irvine with Sleep train was a fitting way to enjoy the rest of the day. Two lessons of note. Firstly just because a map is called Mt Wilson map is no indication that Mt Wilson is in fact anywhere central on given map so the neighbouring township does not infact need to appear on it at all and secondly it is difficult to wander into wilderness based on memories when you have never been there before.

Note: I think this is the way, is that the track in front of us?

Sunday 29th March
Tried my best to punch out a sneaky 5oks on the bike solo so that no one would see my absolute state of nothingness in terms of current cycling ability. Unfortunately before I was half way through Rob Spilling had waved enthusiastically as he rode home from joggers, a former co member of Springwood athletics had chuckled as she was out walking at the sight of my attempts to cycle and Matt's brother Pete had almost taken out the rest of his group in an effort to bellow my name for all to hear as they rode the opposite direction. Sprung.

50ks, as I expected it would felt like lots and my remaining thoughts revolve around the knowledge that 18-ks is a lot further. None the less it was a start and now that I have changed tyres from the ones I realised have been on the bike since the Perth expedition I can corner again without constant fear of more exploding tubes.
Keep up the consistency, maintain sessions that wont prevent you from doing the same session again the next day harder if required. It's coming I swear.

No comments: