Monday, October 26, 2009

Ethics Found Then Plagiarised

It was in reading the latest edition of Wild magazine last week that I found a paragraph that challenges my thoughts on why I choose to run and why I find myself drawn to longer trail runs all the time:

What is a mountain? This may seem a foolish question, because we 'know' what mountains are - or we think we know. We have pictures of mountains in our heads, so that when we see mountains we recognise them. We think having a head full of pictures allows us to know the world - but does it? The mountain is living; the picture is dead. You may know what sort of rock a mountain is made of; you may know its name, its height, certain facts about its ecology. But does any of this convey what the mountain actually is?

This particular paragraph in Martin Hawes excellent feature article "A new wilderness ethic" seemed to jump out at me in terms of why it was I want to run. I have often loved the Blog title "Riding the Wind" for its simple explanation for why the author does what he does. This paragraph helped me clarify the purpose of my running. Because it is through running, not on but with and amongst the Blue Mountains that I most enjoy my this recreational time. The more time spent with the Blue Mountains, understanding what it feels like to run in here rather than through here, clarifies the enjoyment to be gained from trail running.

So from an article on ethics I am plagiarising the purpose and applying it as the underlying philosophy of the BMMC. More a challenge for myself and others to aim for rather than a rule. An ethos to take running, to get to know the environment we run in. Not just in terms of meters gained or kilometers completed but in terms of the spirit of the Blue Mountains (or any other natural wonder in which we happen to be). I think this differentiates the trail runs from the fun runs or track races. Maybe it is as simple as the journey verse the destination!

It was with this in mind I recommenced training this week. Following a disrupted few days with the PDHPE teachers conference and the associated driving to Manly and back each day. Along with family functions diverting my attention from training over the weekend. I couldn't round up any training partners so quite fittingly I was granted the uninterrupted pleasures of running through the mountains trails solo to reflect on the environment I am blessed with every day if I so choose.

Monday 26th October
An afternoon solo run around the espresso run. It had been raining pretty constantly all day so the tracks were full of water and the trees hung over the single tracks full of weighed down branches. It made for pleasant run and I soon found my spirits lifting to the point that I decided I would try and run the trail version of a tempo run. Keeping in mind a trail does not ideally suit itself to the calculated set paced running of a tempo run I took the approach that I would simply run at a solid but controlled pace. Pushing it to a point that I felt the twang in my legs but always confidant that I could knock it back and run another lap if time had permitted. I hadn't felt this good for a long time on a run. I didn't look at my watch once till the end, and was pleased to have gone around in 26 mins 50secs. Some 4 minutes faster than the average time I have been running this track over the past few months.

Evening Edition:
Was a great privilege to have attended Springwood Rotary to catch up with the first exchange student that stayed at my parents house in 1989, Roland. Was even more surprised to run into Mr Living Legend 002 and find out he was the guest speaker in to talk about his 24 (so far) 6ft track marathons. Dom is a legend in every aspect and the 6ft talk was sensational.

Tuesday 27th October
Doubled up today for the first of many future doubles. With the focus at the moment on building weekly totals rather than individual runs at the moment the plan relies largely on double days initially. Hoping to avoid injury and illness.

AM out with the BMMC from Sleep Trains round house. The standard lap of Sleep Trains loop with Animal, Jay (strange name I know) and Sleep Train. Was feeling fairly good this morning and despite what felt like a little extra time spent stretching managed a reasonable time of 1hr 4mins 14sec. In particular tried to work it a little up out of Sun Valley. Though the "Im not really training" one managed to laugh at me in action as I felt every step of the second half of the climb. Was interested in the concept of an agenda based conversation. Liked that it gave me time to prepare my contributions to conversation the night before.

PM back to Knapsack to run espresso with GPB. What a difference 24hrs can make. Poor nutrition and two runs down in the past 24hrs soaked the legs and cruised round with pit stop and stretch at lookout for 34mins 15sec. Some 8mins slower than yesterdays 'Trail Tempo'. Glad they had chairs at Cees else I might have been the first one to fall over asleep drinking coffee in history.

Wednesday 28th October
Over to the Lucasville Resort for a run with he currently known as the Holiday Maker. Round what is becoming the standard Wednesday run round Glenbrook past Mini Rail down to Lennox and back through Knapsack Reserve. Will need to map and name this run to simplify future entries. Maybe the New Wednesday Run. 50mins 2secs

PM back into Fartlek with ball at the Kingsway. Seems Panthers Rugby League players also make good touch players (this is suppose to be mixed division 3/4). Got smashed by a better team but think it could have been a lot more if they had wanted it to be.

Thursday 29th October
With the Animal resting for his return this weekend reclaimed the Thursday run. Just Sleep Train and myself this morning so an adaption of the Hills Circuit was implemented, with much less hill. Easy pace (for one of us) to give 55mins 12sec having ventured down to Lennox then adlibed a track back to bike jumps, over Mt Sion and back via the link tracks to Old Bathurst Rd. Legs pretty much smashed from the beginning.

Friday 30th October
Set out from the Mansion on Marshall with Wholie the Holiday Maker. Plan was for an easy 40 minutes and so with random turns and couple more rights than lefts managed just that. Round Aussie Pyrenees, past the big M, over the station through that girl from the wonder years and round the back ally to the standard exit. 40mins 12secs feeling tired in the legs but generally good.

Saturday 31st October
Spent 25 of the 30 minutes provided pre-run completing 3 trips to the loo and still wasn't confident enough to head off on Extended Florabella Pass run with out banning Sleep Train from farting for fear of compensatory response on my guts response. An uncomfortable first 30minutes don the standard exit and along the back ally. Out at Spurwood to drop his hat at the round house and on to Warrimoo Station. Past Mister G's former club house and on to Florrabella Pass.

A very wet and overgrown path today making footing uncertain for the first 20minutes of the pass. Two quick stops round the Ross Cres exit area to check out the creek below (and swimmingly good it appeared) before continuing along to Pippa's Pass. Exited at Blaxland Library, up to Station across down Borea before taking the false finish home.

After a very uncomfortable beginning stomach settled and felt good for the vast majority of the run. 1hr 35mins 41secs, think this gives me about 70 to 75 km this week with Sydney to Gong (very socially tomorrow). Happy start to being back into it. Aim to hit 100km weeks mid way through November.

No comments: