Monday, February 8, 2010

Megalong Mega Just My Opinion But Please Consider Reflecting

Up early with She who Must Be Obeyed to head up the mountains to Megalong valley for the Megalong Mega. Had some concerns on the drive up based round the amount of rain we have had over the past couple of days and the reports posted on cool running’s from those who had run the same course on Saturday.

When we arrived to the car park on the wrong side of the Old Ford Crossing it was obvious without having even gotten a look at the creek yet that things were not good. Upon a closer examination in my opinion it would be a mistake to attempt to cross the creek and I began discussions with a couple of people I knew about looking for alternative runs. My decision was based on a number of key points from my experiences living and growing up in the blue Mountains and through my association with teaching outdoor recreation for close to 15 years. To me the key points of concern basically come down to:
  • Washed down debris has no schedule or warning signs. At any point a broken branch or small tree can come through and nothing a person could do would stop them from being knocked over in this circumstance.
  • The height of the water could stay the same, drop or get higher by the return. Based on rainfall in areas we were not in. We had no ability to figure out what the height of the water would be latter in the day.
  • Legs would be sore and tired after the run. Even if every other variable was constant on the return this alone was enough for me not to risk it.
  • Any time we do decision making/problem solving activities with groups of adults or school students it is constantly reinforced that any attempt to find a solution to a problem that places you or others at risk is a poor option that should not be explored.
I appreciate the methods used provided a more stable base and larger support network reducing the risk of individuals coming unstuck. However these methods and variations to them are generally taught (IMO) as methods to be employed in times when the risk of staying is greater than the risk of crossing. That is in emergency situations. As they reduce the risk only not eliminate it.

I had begun to think I was turning into a rather soft individual in terms of this situation. So I spent some time talking to the Head Teacher of Science today at School. A much more experienced Mountaineer than I and one of the most respected Rock Climbers in the Blue Mountains climbing community. He reinforced my beliefs with the statement that his Whitewater friends consider any moving water body above ankle deep a potentially dangerous environment. Specifically when it is a water body swelled beyond its normal capacity.

I fully recognise that on the day everyone had the right to make their own decision and I am truly grateful that anyone who might read this is able to say that they think I am wrong because everyone made it back OK on the day. It is my hope that some one will read this and reflect on the decision to cross flooded waters like these on future runs. Not to just join the line because everyone has started crossing without due thought and understanding.

This is not aimed at any individual and not in any way intended as a slur on any person just food for thought for any who would like to consider another point of view. For a discussion not an exposition.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

wise words, very sensible.