Monday, February 1, 2010

Looking For Resilience

I took great pleasure watching Andy Murray turn his semi final around against Marin Cillic the other night and equally as much pleasure watching him never give up against the tennis freak Roger Federer. To me the key moment in which I took the most enjoyment was the point against Cillic though, in which Cillic after dominating the entire point lobs Murray only to watch him turn chase and pass him down the high side of the net.

I only wish I had this much fight in me. No doubts I will keep working on it but that sort of fight to that level is not just learnt. That comes from somewhere inside, grown early from some deeper place that I fear most of us don't even know exists let alone that people possess it.

Having thought a lot lately about what is the reason I want to run long on trails, I keep coming back to because most of the time I enjoy it and on these times it definitely relaxes me to do so. There are always however tough days that things don't feel so smooth, that the coordination just doesn't fit. These are the days I want 'Murray Determination'. For now I will just have to keep searching and keep the fingers crossed no one lobs me on a vital point.

Monday 1st February
A return to the first full weeks work following a half week yesterday. Off to a bad start missing the morning session as I had stayed up to watch the Open Tennis final last night. Not being a late night for the average Australian male I am sure but I am normally asleep either on the couch or in bed by 9.30pm. Some redemption in the afternoon, running solo from the Mansion on Marshall having got home from work round 6ish. Put in 35mins 1sec on a nondescript circuit largely made up of too busy roads but finishing through the back ally and out the standard exit. Felt way to uncomfortable for having had such a lazy few weeks. Big day tomorrow with hills in the morning and my first tracks session for some years in the PM. this may be the first lob shot I need to chase down already.

Tuesday 2nd February
Had a good day of it today. I think I will just accept that Mondays will always be the day I get the running back in my legs following the week prior and get on with it. Started the day back at Sleep Trains for the standard two hills loop after not running this one for a few weeks. Felt good early and taking it easy up the major climb out of Sun Valley felt good all the way back. 1hr 2mins 42secs.

Dragged my fearful backside to the track for the first time in some eight years (bar one anomaly some time in 2008). Managed to leave work 20mins late in an attempt to not have enough time but was unsuccessful in this ploy. the program (all be it plagiarised from another's) called for 20 400's at marathon pace working to a 2:1 work to rest ratio. Was pleasantly surprised by the splits and will need to reevaluate my timings next week as I ended way to far on the over rested side of things after each effort (keeping the planned total time in case I blew apart in the second half). I'm beginning to think my marathon times have all been a joke and that I need to get some ticker about myself in the longer runs. Need more reflection on this but the basic stats were:
  • Best marathon 3hrs 42mins, so choose to work to 3hrs 30mins pace
  • This equates to 2min 400's with 1min rest
  • First 10 actually ran at 1min 35sec to 1min 37sec and second 10 1min 34sec to 1min 36sec
Think a plan of something like 1min 40 secs with 50secs recovery might be the way to go with it but will try and consult the Doc for more details.

Wednesday 3rd February
Up early for a run from the Lucasville Resort with Whollie the Holiday Maker. It was with some surprise that I was to be found huddled in my car at 5.30am as the door of the resort opened as I am not particularly well known for my running amongst precipitation. Having gotten over the shock of wetness (not at the point of waking but at the point of stepping out of the car) it was on with it for the standard winter circuit (all be it the middle of summer) in around 55mins 5secs. things are changing in the Mansion first a track session and now running in the rain. Might be something to with a list of names and personal best marathon times sitting above my computer stuck to the notice board. No one settles for silver we all want the gold (well I know one person that does anyway). Might be time to publish the final goal for BMMC at 6ft soon.

Just found this on youtube and I like it still so put it up:


Thursday 4th February
Woke up to more rain. Strange how things can change as I managed to drag myself out of bed and head out for my second wet morning in a row. A feat not considered possible to many local runners (ie me and rain that is). Found only the Fat Kiwi waiting outside Mansion on Marshall and it was decided that despite our preference for all things dirt we would stick to the hard black stuff today. another nondescript road circuit in and around the Blaxland, Glenbrook area for 55mins 43secs.

Friday 5th February
More rain and plenty of moisture in the air for those moments it wasn't actually falling. Whollie the Holiday Maker was very happy with another morning on the tar and another nondescript run around the roads was had. Closest thing to a hill was Borrea and no dirt leading to trail deprivation syndrome. 45mins on the dot.

Saturday 6th February
Nothing, had a bad day in the head today as I find I have on occasions. Just couldn't drag myself into running mode.

Sunday 7th February
Decided not to join the masses crossing the waters for the start of the Megalong Mega (as per Megalong Mega Post) and instead headed with the Welsh Exchange Student and She Who Must Be Obeyed to Narrow Neck for a touch of out and back on higher ground. In the end felt uncomfortable most of the way with a negative split 2hrs 1min 13secs return from the gate to the ladder and back. WXS smashed me on every one of the short sharp climbs on offer and very pleased he is not in the Beer Bet for 6ft. SWMBO again smashed it up and continues to show signs of addiction to exercise for her 1h 40min solo run.

No comments: