Wednesday, January 27, 2010

The Social Constructs Of Not Training

A combination of factors over the past couple of weeks post Hotham from Bogong (episode 2010 now to be known as 2/3rds to Hotham from Bogong except for the fact that it is starting to take too much time to type all that in) seems to have knocked the consistency out of my training. In the end I did come down fairly heavily with a cold post race and found myself struggling with energy levels, eating only foods that were cold and soft because of my throat and blowing more holes in cheap tissues than the combined total of a rampant year 7 class in winter for a couple of days.

Having got past this 'deadly' head cold and found myself enjoying holidays. As I have previously encountered having more time due to not being at work often leads to decreased training kilometerage and next to no consistency in training. No matter how many times I might profess "holidays, I am practically a professional athlete for the next ## weeks. More often than not the lack of daily structure seems to leave too many holes in my training diary. Might be a problem given I'm a teacher and as SWMBO constantly points out I'm on holidays more than I'm at work.

Despite these dreadful afflictions of illness and having too much time to train, I did manage to play around in the hills of blue a little over the past few weeks. With the past weekend seeing a return to some real training over the lower to mid mountain regions.

Saturday (23rd Jan) was set as an easy paced run from Glenbrook to woodford to Springwood. A Sleep Train special leading up to 6ft. Joined Gottagofasta, Sleep Train and the Welsh Exchange Student at 5.30am Nat Pk gates and began our journey west (up). The pace seemed raised a little and found myself at the gate in a touch under 40mins. A stretch and comfort stop, the joining of our quartet by Shogun who had missed us at the beginning and the run continued up the Oaks. About 4 to 5 steps into it and I waved goodbye to everyone hoping to settle into a more comfortable pace. Definitely surprised by the increased gradient as having only run down had not previously noticed this bit as being steeper than the gate home.

Regrouped at the helipad (some very patient runners I must add) and on to the gate at Woodford. Needless to say I didn't see any other runners than The Welsh Exchange Student who kindly waited at Woodford until we reached the finish at Springwood. A particularly difficult day with a major mental breakdown 100m from Woodford Station that was thankfully put straight by The Welsh Exchange Student. A stop for fruit and drinks at Linden and a finishing time of 3hrs 50mins. Very sore, very hot and a reminder to myself that I am really not that fast when you try and run with people who are.

Lots of excuses social constructs working against me over the next couple of days so no running. However a 12hr day spent building the fortress of Gnomville in Glenbrook provided some physical exertion.

Australia day saw the first run for me in the Rodthehornet inspired fat ass Australia Day Fatathon. Joined by about 80 people in our backyard, including BMMC representatives Vstar, The Welsh Exchange Student, Scurry, Fred, Dr Phil, Animal, Ms Animal, Prince Donges, Princess Donges, The Fat Kiwi, Koala, Mr G, Whippett Girl and Mr Whippet (we will sort out the contract latter) and She Who Must Be Obeyed.

Began with intentions of hitting the trails for around 25km but thinking a trip down piscar ridge would be nice as I hadn't been down there for a couple of years. Settled into a nice paced train up the single track early talking to a friend of Fat Kiwis and soon found myself spat out at Red Hands Cave Track junction. The train reconfigured into a small bunch and as I looked around I realised I had inadvertently purchased a ticket on the beer bet express.

The group largely stayed together down to Nepean Lookout and back up to the car where we were rejoined by BMMC runners WXS, Dr Phil and Animal (who had caught us having slept in). The beer bet bus disintegrated here and I found myself running in the mid range action of the remnants. The trail down to the camp area on Piscar was very enjoyable and equally enjoyable on the way back out heading up the slope. Also providing a chance to see how far ahead the likes of Mr D,  Prince Donges and Whippet Girls group had already got ahead.

Another refuel at the car aid the four BMMC runner were joined by B1o B2 as she made her way back towards the Oaks. Some brief introductions then very quickly Animal and B1orB2 found themselves moving away from Dr Phil, WXS and I. It was in this section that plan A was hatched by Dr Phil and I. Reassuring WXS that he need only concern himself with plan B for now as we made our way down the Oaks and onto Bennets Ridge for the run into Euroka. The gradual down hill took there toll a little on the quads and hamis and as Rodthehornet came screaming past about 1km from Euroka I was beginning to feel the second long run in a couple of days following a brief period of minimalist training negatively impacted social constructs to training.

At Euroka refueled with the confidence raised slightly by the presence of Spud, Long Arms and Rodthehornet. Informed WXS of plan A and made our way up the goats track onto Portal Lookout trail and headed out to complete the full 42km course. At the base of the pre tunnel view climb had to stop for the first stretch of the hamis and say goodbye to WXS and Dr Phil.

On the approach to Nepean Lookout was surprised by how far these two had already got away from me but happy to still be running well all things considered with the occasional stretch of the hamis to hold of pre cramping feelings. Gottagofasta and family turned up at the lookout and had the unfortunate pleasure of watching me try to run down the ports Tunnel View Lookout hill with cramping quads. Stretch-run-stretch-run continued through to the single track and one of the lest coordinated runnings of this trail I think I have managed.

At the end however it was 4hrs 13mins 25sec back to the causeway for a great training run that has reinstated some confidence in my running after a largely disappointing January. Particularly happy with all but the last 5km and the way the body held up running around some runners I consider to be far more experienced over longer distances than I. Given it was a training day.

The year of learning about running long continues. Social constructs like returning to work and sore quads will keep me from training day 1 post Australia Day. However I am running out of excuses so back into the routine tomorrow.

No comments: