Sunday, March 14, 2010

6ft: Taking A Lesson From Juma Ikangaa

The first of my 6ft adventures has now been run and done (definitely not won). Today I have been thinking a lot about the way the day unfolded and how it would be easiest to outline all aspects circulating in my mind for future reference and reflection. So with Alice fresh back in wonderland why not call on a mad hatter for guidance.

Blue Hat: Planning
Juma Ikangaa is a runner that I remember clearly as a young little A's runner in the early 1980's being the long time leader of the Brisbane Commonwealth Games marathon before finally succumbing to the negative splitting de Castella. What stands out for me now is a quote I read some time ago from an interview with Ikangaa asking him if he would have approached the race differently if he had his time again. His response, not the expected (from a conservative Australia Athletics perspective anyway) I would ease up at the end so I had more in the tank at the finish. His response went something like:

        If I knew he was going to finish so strongly I would have gone faster in the beginning

I love this approach, the I may blow up and fall out the back door, but to quote another televised marathoner (aka 1999 Sydney test event) "at least I was in the race"

This attitude stood firm in my mind in planning how to approach 6ft track for the first time. I could sit back and wait for Black Range and see how many people who had gone too hard I could pick up. However I would never put myself in the race (Beer Bet of course no grandeur higher aspired to for a weekend warrior). So an alternative plan was required. Cruise to the river then put in a solid mid section and hold on. Against all advise, maybe. Bold or foolish I am still uncertain.

White Hat: The Facts
To the river in around 1hr 32mins
3rd fastest Beer Bet ascent from river to pluvi 1hr 20mins
Hamis and Vastus Medialis explode on Black Range

Total time 5hrs 15mins

Yellow Hat: The Good
1. I will do this course every year I am physically capable. Even given my exploding muscles I came away having enjoyed every step of this course. Even the Black range that i had read so many story's of desperation about I thought was magnificent.

2. I blew out and still ran 5hrs 15mins. I know I can take at least 30mins off this if I can sort out the apparent problem I have with cramps in longer races.

3. Based on the 1.5 your marathon time formula this constitutes a 3hr 30min marathon. My PB (though accurately described last night as soft) is only 3hrs 42mins so in this regard it is a step in the right direction.

Black Hat: The Bad
You would think having finished 30mins plus outside the desired goal time this would be the easiest to write but I don't seem to be carrying much in terms of the negative in my thoughts.

I am certainly disappointed in the time but not the race or the way i tried to run it. I would rather put myself in it and go past my limits on a given day than finish thinking I could have put more out on the tack if it is a run I'm listing as a race.

The major negative is the return of cramps. I am now 2 marathons, Wild Endurance 2008 and 6ft 2010 with all of them being limited by cramps to the same muscles. Hami's and Vastus Medialis. the only run of length at which cramp has not affected me has been Hotham from Bogong (and here I failed to read a basic map). the most frustrating aspect is the cramps are hitting at a point well inside the standard long run in training. Training in which I can not recall have cramping at all. It seems some reading will need to be done to sort out this situation.

Red Hat: Emotions
I am pump to have experienced this event for the first time. To me catching up with 12 timer John trotter before and after the run made the day for me. Particularly as i remember growing up through senior high school listening to his story's of 6ft on training runs.

I am shattered my hami's went KABOOM.

I am full of excitement and cant wait to have another crack next year and put my name much higher up on the Beer Bet roster were I know I can run.

Green Hat: getting All Creative
To early to give away the changes to putting this right yet. Plenty of ideas floating in my head but you never know who might be reading this and i just cant give you 12 months warning on the strategy for 2011. Just remember as stated below previously: That Beer Is Mine

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Mate,

I am reading.
Need to fix my own problems so do not worry about me to much until 6' in 2011 and I will kick butt.

In 12 months time you will be so much stringer so a PB is in the bag as logn as you don't get injured.

Cheers
Brick/Kevin

Primal Runner said...

Scam,

Cramping appears to be my nemisis of late. First got them in North Face last year and even worse at Bogong and now Six Foot. Hopefully will have them sorted out for NF2010.

You'll smash six foot next year.

I employed the strategy of going out hard last year and blew up. Will do it again though...

Cheers,
Shogun