Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Southern Cross to Coolgardie Revisited

14.9.2011: Southern Cross to Coolgardie

Stats: 188.71km, 8hrs 33mins 58sec, 22km/hr
Weather: Fine 16-30 degrees, Head winds

It was a shattered bunch that rolled into Coolgardie today. We had spent 189km on hot windy roads. 10 and 1/2 hours between leaving Southern Cross and arriving at Coolgardie. Not one of us free from the mental and physical exhaustion we felt. Knowing tomorrow will most likely provide more of the same, Im going to sleep well tonight.

Note: A wonderful meal with children of the local Aboriginal Hostel

Tallies as for yesterday, good night.

14.9.2011
I remember the day 5 years ago well. The hot dusty windy roads that limited our average speed to 22km/hr and the absolute exhaustion we felt when we rolled into town. So it pleases me that 5 years on today sits on the opposite side of the spectrum in terms of mental state following todays training.

For the first time in weeks I managed to make it to swimming in the Woods. Knocking out 3.5km with the animal and Dr Phil, all be it with flippers assisting me in many aspects of the session today so to complete the session in time with these two. All up I was pleasantly surprised to find my splits and cycle times sat in tune with those I was working to prior to the interruptions of the past 3 weeks.

Then thus evening, a tidy 40km on the M7 cycle way with Joey, Kristy, Luke, Sean and Brandon. The rolling hills of the southern end make for great mid week riding. Though I do find the removal of myself right in the middle of feeding and bath time a some what selfish act. I will continue to review this session in order to try and find a more suitable solution that also fits in with Evie coming home with Mum.

Certainly enjoying the last few sessions and starting to feel stronger through training. More importantly though a song for Evie :).

No comments: