Thursday, September 15, 2011

Coolgardie to Norseman Revisited

15.9.2006: Coolgardie to Norseman

Stats: 168.74km, 6hrs 46mins 2sec, 24.9km/hr
Weather: Showers early, Clearing to hot day, 16-30+ degrees, early winds

A day of challenges in many ways, 5th day of riding (6th including prologue), 167km following 188km into a shocker of a head wind yesterday, and playing on my mind going into today is the fact that it is 3 months since Dad died.

I found myself constantly thinking about Dad today. The conversations we had, the things we had doing together, the family gatherings, and more than anything the inability I now have to sit down with him and talk about my experiences on this ride. More than once this has lead to a tear being shed behind my sunglasses.

I don't know if the mental and emotional struggle was a significant factor, but I really struggled physically up until morning tea this morning. Almost from the moment we departed Coolgardie, having had photos with our new friends at the Aboriginal student hostel, I was having to push to hold the wheel in front of me.

What difference a day or two can make. Our riding environment has changed from open fields of wheat to what I would have to describe as scrub/bush tablelands. Corresponding with this I have moved from riding well inside my comfort levels to moving through periods of complete discomfort.

It was George who today summed it up simply with:

"Until today I had no idea how hard this would be"

My backside is red raw with saddle sores, my knee really went, late this afternoon, and at times we feel like we are riding on home trainers.

Having said this, I would choose to be no where else at this moment. Each afternoon as we finish riding I give thanks for the opportunity to experience Australia this way. It truly is the Great South Land.

Tomorrow, a rest day in Norseman, for today the tally's remain the same.

15.6.20111
Legs woke about 2 hours after the rest of my body this morning. Which is a shame because by this point I had finished the standard Thursday morning run around the basic hill circuit. I really felt the effects of pushing a few of the hills last night out riding this morning.To the extent that on a number of occasions I found myself sitting behind everyone else just tagging along.

It was then with a large amount of surprise that when I stopped my watch at the end of the run. With legs still sleeping. That I looked down to see we had gone round in 1hr 5mins 40secs. As I think back I can't actually remember going round this circuit, having started and finished at the Mansion on Marshall, under 1hr 6mins previously. Even if it has occurred, it would only have been once and most likely on much stronger feeling legs than those I ran with today. Im pleased with this as it is a sign things are still headed in the right direction. Even if it meant observing Sleep Train, Fat Kiwi and Cougar Baits backsides for most of this time.

The afternoon session had been planned as a time trial on the bike round the lakes. However a date with my daughter at Glenbrook Park and a niggle in the right knee put a holt to that. At this point in the training, not even being in the 12 week trial block leading into Canberra 70.3 yet. Let alone knocking out the hard yards for Ports 12 week block. Im happy to spend my afternoons on the swings and slippery dips with a giggling Evie over pushing myself beyond pleasant training.


Knowing of course this will be a very different circumstance come 2012. I await you long slow dull pain with a smile :). So now Evie's song for today:

No comments: